no avatar

Lee Cook named homecoming queen

• Oct 21, 2019 at 8:00 PM

The top stories in the Reflector-Herald on Oct. 21, 1961:


Queen and her court

(Photo caption) Reigning over Friday night’s Homecoming Game was Queen Lee Cook. The Queen, who will also reign at tonight’s “Camelot Ball,” sat with her court on the sidelines as Norwalk dropped the grid battle to Galion 27-12. Flanking the queen are attendant Jinny Johnson and last year’s queen Sharon Burras. In the foreground are attendants Lydia Koslow and Dorothy Saladin. Queen Lee was crowned by Queen Sharon at the 50-yard line prior to the ball game.


Unwanted passenger

(Photo caption) An unidentified Galion tackler rides herd on Norwalk’s Harry Meagrow in the second quarter of last night’s Homecoming Game at Whitney Field. Meagrow was blasted out of bounds on the play after a 17-yard gain, which failed to offset a 15-yard penalty on the previous play. Doug Levers stands by helplessly watching his teammate being brought down. Galion spoiled the Norwalk Homecoming by taking a 27-12 victory.


Mrs. Hipp is new Farm Club member

Mrs. Virginia Hipp was welcomed as a new member of the Townsend Road Farm Women’s Club at a recent meeting at the home of Mrs. Ira Dolbee.

Prizes went to Mrs. Clifford Silcox and Mrs. Arthur Smith, and Halloween refreshments were served by the hostess.

Turkey dinner was planned for Nov. 16 at the home of Mrs. Earl Schamp, Collins, with Mrs. Ed Manhart assisting.


Flyers come from behind for fifth win, 32-6

Trailing 6-0 at halftime, the Norwalk St. Paul Flyers came on strong in the final 24 minutes of play and blitzed the Lakeside Lakers by a 32-6 score for their fifth victory of the season.

The Big Red, inspired by a halftime talk in the dressing room by their coach Bob Irvin, tied the game in the third quarter and then went on in the final canto to take advantage of breaks and score 26 points.

For the Flyers, it was a “nightmare” in the first half. Seemingly everything they tried was stopped cold by the Lakers, who were high as sky for the game. It was almost unbelievable how the powerful Flyer ground attack could be halted for a mere 34 yards in 24 minutes of play...

...It didn’t take the Saints long in the third period to get back into the game. Although they were stopped after the kickoff, their defense also held and the Big Red took over the ball on their own 23-yard-line after guard Jack Rospert blocked an attempted punt...

...The Flyers started off the final period with a bang. Three plays after the final canto started, fullback Terry Ackerman blasted for 46 yards up the middle to put the ball on the 14 yard line. 



Norwalk Reflector Videos