no avatar

'Uncle Jim' dead

• Aug 29, 2019 at 8:00 PM

The top stories in the Norwalk Evening Reflector on Aug. 29, 1902:


Familiar character about town has passed away; was reared by the Indians

Death removed, yesterday, one of Norwalk’s oldest and most interesting citizens.

“Uncle Jim” Williams, who lived in the Parker house near Allings Corners, passed away after an illness of a few weeks. His age was not definitely known, but was close to ninety years.

“Uncle Jim” was born about 1813 or 1812. His mother was the daughter of a large plantations owner, who fell in love with one of her father’s slaves. His maternal grandmother took care of him till he was about nine months old. Then fearing that her two sons would make away with the baby, gave him to a tribe of Indians by who he was brought up and with whom he lived till he was nineteen years old.

His experience with the Indians made him expert in wood craft and his conversation was extremely interesting.

Jimmy was always well dressed. For more than half a century he lived in North Fairfield, but a few years ago came to Norwalk where he has been a familiar figure.

An excellent account of his career from the pen of Mayor Rowley may be found in the FIreland’s Pioneer for 1894, read at the meeting at Huron.


Cost Crawley $24.46

Wm. Crawley, who was charged with assault and battery upon special policeman Martin in the row which occurred Aug. 9 on Linwood Ave., had his hearing today before Judge Jones, was found guilty and fined $10 and costs, a total of $24.46.

The evidence developed the fact the assault and battery were technical and had they been committed upon a private person instead of an officer in discharge of his duty would probably never have been noticed.
Crawley thought he was protecting a friend and probably had no idea that he was committing a criminal offense.


Doing business

Things are beginning to look like business at the canning factory. Several of the large vats are filled with cucumbers and the process tubs are also full. Yesterday over 340 bushels were brought in and it is expected that over 600 will be received tomorrow. They are coming from Milan and Huron in considerable quantities.

It is a rather new experience for the farmers and instead of picking the cucumbers properly they are bringing them in all sizes from a gherkin to a field pumpkin. The contracts call for two sizes of cucumbers 3 1/4 and 5 inches; but the farmers seem to have forgotten about the contracts. Owing to the fact that the crop is rather short and the farmers inexperienced in this particular line the company is very lenient.

Andrew J. Clawson who lives near the old water works, brought in the first tomatoes today. He made a grand rush and captured the records with 135 pounds.

Owing to the scarcity of tomatoes all over the country the usual practice of pulping the first small receipts of tomatoes will not be resorted to, but every available tomato will be done by hand.


Scaffold gave way

While engaged in putting up an eaves spout on the Hay residence yesterday, Chas. Beers was painfully injured. The scaffold gave way and Charley caught hold of the spout, which cut large pieces of flesh out of his fingers, laying the bone bare in places.

He lost his grip and fell to the ground, striking on his head and shoulders; but aside form a general shaking up, was not otherwise injured except the laceration of his fingers.



Norwalk Reflector Videos