In just a few years, the former Norwalkian went from working as an electrical machinist in the U.S. Navy Yard to a veterinary surgeon, holding the office of Idaho state veterinarian.
Church organized on April 25, 1818 at the house on the northwest corner of U.S. 250 and Mason Road.
There was no holiday gift-giving nor ‘Christmas shopping’ ads in those early times.
Here are details about the first settlers in the village of Norwalk.
David Thoreau’s theories of simple living in natural surroundings are fine, but someone has to grow food and manufacture consumer goods.
Call for county government in North Fairfield.
On July 5, 1903, the town was known officially as Chicago, Ohio, and there was much activity as usual in the large yards of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
Fifty years before the 1886 bridge was opened, there was a plan to build a bridge at the same spot, but it never came to fruition.
It wasn’t until 1890 that American flags began to be displayed inside of and outside of schools.
In all of his 45 years of writing this column, he’s never answered these local history questions.
Both the southwest and the northwest corner lots at Main, Benedict and Whittlesey were vacant until 1854.
It was reported that at least 75 shots were fired at the house and 11 were returned — with deadly results.
Three-story school building collapses during construction, causing quite a controversy.
Man who had been partially disabled in working as a bridge builder served nine years as a justice of the peace in Norwalk.
Most of the early people were from Connecticut and were of the Episcopalian faith.