<<<<<<< .mine ||||||| .r421 ======= >>>>>>> .r422
logo



EHOVE Sr. loses car, keeps life after spontaneous fire

Stacey Hartley • Updated Aug 13, 2019 at 9:16 AM

There was a close call for the Lindenbergers Saturday when flames erupted from their son’s first car near a gas pump at a Wakeman gas station.

“No more starter-cars for my boys,” said Joe Linderberger, the superintendent of the Ernsthausen recreation center, and Noah’s father.

The 17-year-old Noah was on his way to Cleveland when he noticed his car was acting strangely and he stopped at a the station to see if it needed gas.  

“He said he didn’t notice a weird smell or smoke coming from the car’s hood, so he thought it might just need gas,” Lindenberger said of his son, describing his conduct while driving as smart, safe and responsible.

Despite not seeing smoke, within seconds, the teenager’s car was on fire. 

“He’s lucky he got out in time, because it took off,” Lindenberger said, describing the flames.

“I mean it just melted the engine down to a crumble ... There was nothing left of it.”

It was the young motorist’s first car, a “starter car” that the father wagered wasn’t worth more than $2,000.

“So, no more starter-cars for my boys,” said Lindenberger, who has three sons and a daughter.

“Luckily, he’s only 17 and he’s a good driver so that’s good for his record, but a total loss as far as that (insurance) goes,” Lindenberger said finally. 

Wakeman police, fire and ambulance services responded to the scene.

Another Wakeman gas station was previously in the news after a car flipped, then slid into the building that caused a fire and significant building damage. 

Norwalk Reflector Videos