High winds cut power to 1,250 homes and businesses in Huron County

Zoe Greszler • Feb 25, 2019 at 4:00 AM

Local residents are making repairs and cleaning up debris today following high winds that ripped through the area.

For most of the day Sunday, the area experienced sustained winds of 25 to 35 mph, with gusts reportedly in excess of 60 mph. A high wind warning issued by the National Weather Service expired early this morning, though winds of 15 to 23 mph were expected today, with gusts as high as 41 mph.

The aftermath of Sunday’s high winds included downed trees, branches and power lines, damage to the roofs and siding of houses and businesses, and yard debris. At least one trampoline also was a victim of the winds.

The wind caused a large portion of the roof membrane to blow and flap about atop the building at the northeast corner of East Main Street and Whittlesey Avenue, which houses the Diamond Collection and Main Street Cafe.

Widespread power outages were anticipated. However, by 2:30 p.m. Sunday, only a small percentage of the county was without power, according to outage trackers provided by First Energy’s Ohio Edison and Firelands Electric Corporation.

Of the estimated 1,250 powerless residents serviced by Ohio Edison, more than a thousand were in Norwalk or Norwalk Township. That utility company serves 19,136 customers in the Huron County. By 3:45 p.m., only 42 still were without power.

Townsend Township and Bellevue both reported about 100 customers were affected by the outages.

By 4 p.m., only 13 of Firelands Electric’s 4,627 local customers were without electricity.

U.S. 20, between Butler and Hanford roads in Huron County, was closed Sunday afternoon due to downed power lines, according to Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) officials. 

Townsend Avenue in Norwalk also was closed for a time as Ohio Edison crews worked to repair a downed power line.

In Erie County, Poorman Road at Darrow Road in Vermilion Township was closed due to a large tree and power lines being downed. By 7 p.m., Poorman had re-opened.

The Norwalk Fire Department received a few reports of downed power lines reported, “but nothing major,” according to one firefighter.

The Norwalk Police Chief Mike Conney said his department had not received calls about “anything major.” 

Norwalk Reflector Videos