Titled "Jagged," producers of the program promise an in-depth look at the 28-year-old single mother’s April 2015 death and how two disgraced and now former law enforcement officers botched the investigation of it.
The program is is scheduled to air 10 p.m. Friday on NBC.
“This murder case is a great story for ‘Dateline’ to cover because of all the drama, twists and turns,” Josh Mankiewicz, a ‘Dateline’ correspondent told the Register. “It’s fascinating with all the different suspects, a good whodunit case and the explosion of the sheriff's office really made a great storyline.”
On April 10, 2015, Bogle's body was found in the trunk of her Oldsmobile in the parking lot of Somerton Apartments on Hickory Street. The Ballville Township woman had been badly beaten and shot twice in the back. A preliminary autopsy report revealed she sustained defensive wounds before her death, and her hair had been cut off in a ragged, uneven pattern.
Dateline producers started looking into the case as a result of Register’s extensive coverage. which chronicled the ins and outs of the case from the start and reported the downfall of both Sheriff Kyle Overmyer and his top detective, Sean O’Connell.
Both men are now in prison, a direct result of the Register’s hard-hitting coverage about their wrongdoing.
“Your coverage is how we got on the story,” Mankiewicz said. Register news clips will be featured in the program, he said.
Mankiewicz spoke with several people close to the case, including Bogle's family members.
“Viewers will be surprised with how many people we got to interview,” Mankiewicz said. “We were able to speak with almost everybody involved in this story, which adds a nice personal touch because you get to see who this case has impacted and touched.”
One person he interviewed was O’Connell, who refused to talk to the Register and often complained about its coverage of this case, and others he had mishandled previously.
In February 2019, Bogle's killer, Daniel Myers, of Clyde, was sentenced to life in prison without parole plus 20 years. Myers pleaded guilty to five felonies relating to Bogle’s murder. Myers worked with Bogle at the Whirlpool plant in Clyde, but O’Connell never interviewed him despite being given his name as a suspect just days after Bogle was killed.
O’Connell has a history of not talking with suspects, intentionally avoiding them at times and also falsely accusing people of being involved who had no involvement. In the Bogle case he falsely accused three people.
O’Connell was removed from the investigation in June 2016, resigned in September 2017 and was later charged with falsifying evidence and other crimes related to how he conducted the probe.
A visiting judge sentenced O'Connell to two years in prison in a plea deal. He faced charges of obstruction, dereliction of duty, coercion, unauthorized use of property, tampering with evidence and falsification related to how he conducted himself during the Bogle homicide investigation.
O’Connell also was charged with a felony for improperly using the state’s crime database to look up whether there was information about Register editor Matt Westerhold in an effort to intimidate him. The Register refused to back off its aggressive coverage.
Former Sheriff Kyle Overmyer put O'Connell in charge of the Bogle investigation. Overmyer was convicted in 2016 on felony drug and theft charges after the Register reported that he was stealing drugs confiscated by area police departments. He is serving a four-year prison sentence.
Chris Hilton, who was elected Sandusky County sheriff in November 2016, made the Bogle homicide case a top priority. Fewer than six months after taking office, Hilton arrested Myers.