Race organizers announced that they will host the inaugural “We Run This Town” 5K race series this year. This new series will consist of five races, including the Abbey Rose Trail Run, Huron River Fest 5K race, BGSU Firelands Falcon Fund Run, St. Peter School Spooktacular 5K, and the Judi Lively Memorial Annual Turkey Dash. All courses are competitive, with runners and walkers of all skills welcome.
In addition to individual race awards, participants can take home exclusive “We Run This Town” race series swag. Each person who runs and completes all five of the races will earn a commemorative race series mug/beer stein and a certificate of participation. Also, the top three male and female racers with the lowest combined times for all five races will win cash prizes of $125, $75, or $50 respectively at the end of the series.
“We are really excited about this new race series,” said Gary Payne, a Huron resident and one of the series organizers. “Huron offers a wide variety of challenging races and courses, and by creating this new series, we are hoping to encourage more people to come see our city, participate in all five races, and lead a healthy lifestyle as well.”
Participants must register for each race separately via their respective websites. All races cost $20, but many offer an early pre-registration discount.
Here is a summary of each race:
• The Abbey Rose Trail Run 5K & Fun Run – 10 a.m. Saturday, May 5. Held at Fabens Park, this race is on designated trails and wooded areas. Money raised goes to the Abbey Rose Foundation, which helps aid in the prevention of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and to provide hope and comfort to families grieving the loss of a child. For more information, visit abbeyrosekudrin.com.
• Huron River Fest 5K Race & Fun Run – 8:30 a.m. Saturday, July 14. As a part of the annual Huron River Fest, this race takes place in and around the Old Plat and Huron High School. Funds raised by this race go to the Huron High School track and cross-country teams for scholarships and to Young Live Erie County, which helps send an individual to summer camp. For more information, visit Huronriverfest.com.
• BGSU Firelands Falcon Fund Run – 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 15. This course is grassy and flat, beginning on campus and continuing through the neighboring McBride Arboretum. Money raised by this race helps provide scholarships to BGSU Firelands. firelands.bgsu.edu/5k
• St. Peter School Spooktacular 5K & Kids Pumpkin Fun Run – 9 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 27. This annual Halloween-themed race starts at St. Peter School and takes runners through downtown Huron and the surrounding Oklahoma neighborhood. Money raised by this race benefit St. Peter School. For more information, visit stpeter5k.com.
• Judi Lively Memorial Annual Turkey Dash – 9 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 22. Participants in this annual “turkey trot” run through the east side of Huron, through various neighborhoods and Nickel Plate Beach. The money raised goes to the Judi Lively scholarship fund. For more information, visit Judilivelymemorial.org.
For more information on the “We Run This Town” race series, contact Bill Scott at 419-357-6136 or firstname.lastname@example.org.