Services are used for many purposes — work, school, social visits, shopping and medical appointments.
The services include:
Huron County Transit
A new bus has been added to the Huron County Transit fleet. This new bus, a Ford Transit, is wheelchair accessible and holds up to seven passengers. This new addition brings the fleet to a total of nine vehicles. Huron County Transit currently is waiting for the arrival of two more replacement buses this year. Ohio Department of Transportation provides grants for the vehicles and for operations and Huron County Transit does not use any senior levy funds for its operations.
In 2017 Huron County Transit provided rides for 14,113 unduplicated passengers with total miles driven of 232,895. These trips include Huron County and the city of Sandusky. Trips also have been made to the Fremont Hospital and Cleveland Clinic.
• This service is available for a flat fee of $3 per person each way within Huron County, with out-of-county trips available at a different fee.
• For seniors out-of-county trips cost $8 round trip. Huron County Transit is a curb-to-curb service, meaning the vehicle will pick you up at the curb in front of your starting point and drop you off at the curb in front of your destination.
• Huron County Transit office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
• Bus hours of operation for in-county trips are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Bus operation hours for out-of-county trips are 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays (medical trips only).
• Contact 419-663-3340 to schedule a trip or for further information regarding out-of-county trips.
Huron County Transit tickets are available at the office located at 130 Shady Lane, Unit C, Norwalk, OH 44857. The tickets are $30 for 10 in-county trips and $40 for 10 out-of-county trips.
Senior Express is a donation-based service operating within Huron County available to residents aged 60 and alder.
It is a door-to-door service, which means the drivers assists the client from the door of their home to door of their destination. Senior Express currently has a fleet of six vehicles. Vehicles are equipped with wheelchair lifts for assistance. Ohio Department of Transportation has a special fund for vehicles that assist seniors with limited mobility. This special funding is not offered on a routine basis like Huron County Transit, so vehicle reliability is crucial to the operation. Senior Express is a program paid through the Huron County Senior Operating Levy.
In 2017 Senior Express provided rides for 14,833 unduplicated passengers with total miles driven of 157,859. The majority of the trips are to medical appointments in Huron County as well as various other appointments, shopping, social visits to friends and community activities. Many seniors use Senior Express to come to the Norwalk Senior Enrichment Center to have lunch, socialize and engage in the many other available activities.
• Senior Express office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Bus hours of operation for Senior Express are 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• Saturday services for the city of Norwalk are provided in part by the city and the hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Contact Senior Express at 419-668-8821 to schedule a trip.