logo


no avatar

Man apologizes for fatal shooting

By Jennifer Feehan • Apr 11, 2018 at 6:00 PM

TOLEDO — With a brief apology to the family of Jonathan Cain, Deshone Sykes admitted Wednesday that he fatally shot the young man last year after a fist fight.

Ruamone Searcy, who was just 17 at the time, admitted he gave Sykes the handgun used to kill Cain.

After accepting the guilty pleas, Lucas County Common Pleas Judge Myron Duhart sentenced Sykes, 22, of the 2200 block of Fulton Street to an agreed-upon term of 20 years in prison. Searcy, now 18, of the 600 block of Winthrop Street, faces up to 11 years in prison when he is sentenced April 24.

Sykes, who had been charged with aggravated murder, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of involuntary manslaughter with a firearm specification, two counts of felonious assault, and having a weapon while under disability.

Under questioning by Matthew Simko, an assistant county prosecutor, he told the court he had gotten into a fight with Cain, 24, at an apartment in the 800 block of Walnut Street, on March 1. He said Searcy gave him a gun, and he fired twice, causing Cain to run to the back of the apartment complex.

"You then fired the gun again, this time striking Mr. Cain, killing him. Is that correct?" Mr. Simko asked.

"Yeah," Sykes replied.

Defense attorney Dave Klucas said little before the agreed-upon sentence was imposed.

"I think the plea speaks for itself," he said.

Sykes told the court simply, "I want to apologize to the victim's family."

Searcy, who was certified to stand trial as an adult, pleaded guilty to complicity to felonious assault with a firearm specification for his role in the slaying.

___

(c)2018 The Blade (Toledo, Ohio)

Visit The Blade (Toledo, Ohio) at www.toledoblade.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos