The top stories in the Norwalk Reflector-Herald on this date in 1956:
Tucker faces ouster from election board
W.D. Barnhart, veteran Republican party worker, was recommended for the post of clerk of the Huron County Board of Elections by the County Executive Committee at its meeting held last evening.
Barnhart’s application for the post was given preference to that of Paul Tucker’s, long active as a Republican worker, who has held the post since 1939.
Delbert Gilhausen, committee chairman, stated that the committee considered only the two applicants.
First to sign for local derby
Following the announcement yesterday of applications and rulebooks for the local soapbox derby now available at H.D. Rogers Chevrolet, three boys made their appearance last night and filled in blanks.
The boys, accompanied by their parents, were: Herb Moscrip, 14, of 11 South Garden; Butch Crouch, 12, of 21 Cline St.; and Roger Everman, 12, of 28 1/2 East Main.
The local derby will be held sometime in June.
Army Sergeant First Class C.B. Daniels, Norwalk, is now a member of the Third Auto-Aircraft Artillery Detachment in Irumigawa, Japan. He holds the Good Conduct Medal among his decorations.
* * *
Army Pvt. Milford W. Jackson, rural Norwalk, recently was assigned to the 7th Infantry Division in Korea. He is a rifleman in Company K of the division’s 17th Regiment, entered the Army in January 1955 and completed basic training at Fort Carson, Colo. He is a former truck driver for Bell Dairy.
To remodel home at 175 Benedict for mortuary
Plans for converting the residence at 175 Benedict Ave. into a modern, colonial style type of architecture funeral home were announced today by William V. Johnson and his business partner, Robert Young.
The announcement was made on the heels of the Ohio Supreme Court action in refusing to hear the issues of an injunction sought by A.J. Baltes, which was granted by the Huron County Common Pleas Court and reversed by the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Messrs. Johnson and Young stated that Thurman J. Peabody, of this city, was employed as architect and that the remodeling program will get underway as soon as possible.
Although John N. Orebaugh was named party defendant to the injunction action, Mr. Johnson today reiterated his previous announcement that he has been sole owner of the funeral home since May 1953., and that since Jan. 1, this year, he was joined by Mr. Young.
Coming Saturday — Feb. 10, 1901: Last word before the great lot sale begins
— Compiled by Andy Prutsok