Dr. Eric Mast, director of medical education/family medicine residency, recognized the following graduates of the 2015-2018 residency class:
* Marta Bringhurst, who will continue her training in a plus one neuromusculoskeletal medicine residency at South Pointe Hospital in Cleveland.
* Tanen Brown, who will continue his training in a maternal child health fellowship at PCC Community Health Systems in Chicago, Ill.
* Andrew Gantzer, who will be joining Kettering Physician Network in Middletown.
* E. Kerry Pearson, who will be joining the Falcon Health Center in Bowling Green.
* Kaitlin Schwerer, who will be entering private practice in the Sandusky area.
Luis Perez, director of transitional year residency, recognized the following graduates of the 2017-18 residency class:
* Jessica Branstetter, who will continue her training in an emergency medicine / internal medicine residency at Jefferson Health Northeast in Philadelphia, Penn.
* Cuong Le, who will continue his training in a dermatology residency at Hackensack Meridian Health Palisades Medical Center in North Bergen, N.J.
* Valerie Nemeth, who will be continuing her training in the family medicine residency at Firelands Regional Medical Center.
* Chase Sofiak, who will be continuing his training in a radiology residency at the University of Florida in Jacksonville, Fla.
Dr. Darla J. Gaiser, director of pharmacy residency, recognized the following graduates of the 2017-18 residency class:
* Lauren M. DePietro, who will be joining the VA in Detroit, Mich., specializing in ambulatory care pharmacy.
* Maria J. LePoire, who will be joining the Firelands Regional Medical Center clinical pharmacy team.
Dan Moncher, Firelands CFO, provided welcoming comments to the graduates and those in attendance, while hospital vice president Jim Spicer delivered encouragement to the graduates.
After receiving their awards and certificates, graduates presented awards to area physicians who were instrumental in providing instruction and guidance during their education. Dr. Mona Nataprawira was recognized as the family medicine residency preceptor of the year. Dr. Anupam Jha was recognized as the transitional year residency preceptor of the year. Jaclyn Jensen was recognized as the pharmacy residency preceptor of the year.
The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine outstanding physician awards were presented to Dr. Allison Petznick (primary care physician), Dr. Leanne Strack (specialty care physician), Dr. Ruta Semanskiene (primary care internal medicine physician) and Dr. Marta Bringhurst (resident physician).
The evening concluded with a benediction from James E. Preston director of hospice and palliative medicine fellowship and Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine assistant dean.
Local physician is published
SANDUSKY — The article titled “Implications of a National Health Insurance Marketplace” by Eric E. Mast, family medicine doctor with Firelands Physician Group, was published in the May issue of The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association.
In his article, Mast explains the complexities that could arise from creating a national health insurance marketplace. This topic has been of much interest since the 2016 elections when the Trump administration announced that the repealing and replacing of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was one of their primary goals. It has also been a hot-topic with those in the healthcare field, as it is unclear how a national health insurance marketplace would affect the average person’s access to insurance, and therefore, healthcare.
Mast is board certified in family medicine and has an office located at 3006 S. Campbell Street, Sandusky. It can be reached at 419-626-1118.
SANDUSKY — Firelands Regional Medical Center is hosting free breastfeeding clinics from 110:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Mondays in July in the community resource room Firelands South Campus, Sandusky. The free clinic is open to the public to assist breastfeeding mothers with answering breastfeeding questions or concerns and to offer breastfeeding support. Certified lactation consultants will be available to address any breastfeeding challenges or questions that arise and to weigh infants. Appointments are not required. For more information call 419-557-7596.