According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), these temporary feelings of anxiety or depression that are associated with extra stress during the holidays can be referred to as the “holiday blues.” Huron County Public Health (HCPH) encourages the community to take steps to avoid the holiday blues and becoming overly stressed during the holidays.
Here are some tips to help manage stress this holiday season:
● Stick to daily routines as much as possible
● Get enough sleep
● Get some sunlight — this can help boost serotonin levels
● Set reasonable goals — the holidays don’t have to be perfect
● Set a budget and stick to it — don’t go overboard buying presents
● Make a to-do list to help stay organized
While this may be the most wonderful time of the year, for many, the stress of the holiday could leave them feeling a little Grinchy. (“The term ‘Grinchy’ shall apply when Christmas spirit is in short supply” - Dr. Seuss). Following some of these tips will help individuals manage stress and hopefully avoid the holiday blues.
HCPH wishes everyone a happy and healthy holiday. For more information visit www.huroncohealth.com.