logo


no avatar

Norwalk kitchen fire causes $20,000 in damage

• Updated Sep 26, 2018 at 10:38 PM

A fire caused $20,000 worth of damage at a Norwalk residence on Tuesday afternoon. No injuries were reported.

At 3:37 p.m., Norwalk firefighters were called to a kitchen fire at 26 Lee Ave.

Firefighters used a water extinguisher for initial knock down. A hand line was stretched to finish extinguishment, according to the fire report.

After that, firefighters helped remove things from the kitchen, disabled the electric and natural gas services at the property and cleaned up excess water in the kitchen area.

The owner told firefighters a male resident used the stove to light a cigarette, inadvertently igniting a plastic pan on the stove in the process. A female resident was on the front porch and smelled smoke. She entered the house, discovered the fire and then called 9-1-1.

Firefighters estimated the fire caused $5,000 worth of damage to the property and $15,000 worth of damage to the contents.

Firefighters returned to the station at 4:37 p.m. They returned an hour later for a follow-up visit, making sure the fire did not reignite. While there, firefighters installed two smoke detectors and then returned to the station at 6:06 p.m.

Norwalk Reflector Videos