logo


no avatar

Firefighters called to West Main Street home

• Updated Mar 7, 2018 at 4:10 PM

*** UPDATED 3:50 p.m. Wednesday, March 8 ***

It’s not so bad.

Firefighters determined the smell of smoke was coming from beneath the floor, something one firefighter said could “get bad real fast.”  However, a few minutes later after another truck and another fireman showed up it was determined to be "just some smoldering under the floor."

Firefighters were able to get equipment around the back of the house and inside where it was needed and said they felt they had control of the situation.

At 4:03 p.m. the firemen told dispatch they were returning to the station. 

 

*** Original story posted 3:44 p.m. Wednesday, March 8 ***

Norwalk firefighters were dispatched to investigate a possible structure fire at 133 W. Main St.

There was a smell of smoke in the house, which firefighters said was coming from the floor.

Three engines are on standby.

More information will be posted when it becomes available.

This home has been a Norwalk showplace for almost 200 years.

It was built in 1830 for John Vredenburgh and was sold to John Gardiner Sr. in 1848. Members of the Gardiner family have occupied it ever since. It was passed down to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Price and now is occupied by Jan and Susan Blake.

Robert and Ann (Gardiner) Price had three daughters — Susan Blake, Molly Downey and Patty, who died.

John Gardiner Sr. was one of Norwalk’s most prominent bankers and had extensive railroad interests.

The home was featured in the January/February 2017 issue of Discover Norwalk.

Recommended for You