The rededication will take place in the Shrine Pilgrim Center immediately following the first Sunday devotions.
The devotions will begin at 2:30 p.m. in the old chapel and will include the singing of the Christmas stations by Brother Terry Nufer. After the benediction and blessing with the Relic of the True Cross, those attending will walk to the Pilgrim Center for a prayer of rededication.
For generations, the stained-glass Holy Spirit window looked down upon countless people who visited Reed Assumption Church. It witnessed the faithful service of the Precious Blood priests who ministered as pastors and spiritual fathers of the church. The window hung above the altar and reminded all worshipers how the Holy Spirit touches lives every day.
“The Sorrowful Mother Shrine is extremely grateful to Mike Dendinger and other local craftsmen who refurbished the window after the move to the shrine. Mike and his dedicated team replaced broken pieces, soldered and refurbished the glass, constructed a frame and placed a lighted panel behind the window,” shrine spokeswoman Marsha Danhoff said. “Plan to attend this special rededication of the Holy Spirit stained glass window and share fond memories of Reed Assumption Church.”
The Sorrowful Mother Shrine, 4106 Ohio 269 Bellevue, is the oldest place of pilgrimage dedicated to Mary in the Midwest and east of the Mississippi River in the United States.
In 1850, Francis de Sales Brunner, a Precious Blood priest, built a small red brick chapel in honor of Our Mother of Sorrows. Twenty years later, in 1870, a second, larger chapel replaced the original. A growing number of pilgrims came to the chapel for spiritual help and some for physical cures. In 1912, the chapel burnt and was rebuilt within two years as the present chapel. In 1968, the outdoor “Pieta” Chapel was completed and dedicated and is now a devotional landmark in northern Ohio.
Today, visitors from all religious backgrounds visit the shrine annually coming from Cleveland, Columbus, Toledo, Youngstown, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Canada, to name a few. All visitors are welcome to make a visit to this historic holy place, to stand still and feel the presence of God.
For more information or questions, call 419-483-3435.