Minutes from as far back as February 1896 are available on the Norwalk City Schools website, www.norwalktruckers.net. Go under the “our district” tab, click on “meeting minutes” and then go to the “board minutes” archive located on the right side of the next page. Browsers can do a word or date search.
“I am really excited about this,” treasurer Joyce Dupont said during Tuesday’s brief records retention meeting. “It’s come in handy.”
The earliest minutes are handwritten.
During the regular meeting, director of operations Corey Ream honored the school board members as part of the School Board Recognition Month. He said the certificate they receive doesn’t come close to doing an adequate job of recognizing the hard work they do and dedication they have. Ream added that while looking at the agenda it appears the board makes decisions on “adult stuff” such as policies, procedures and “dollars and cents,” they represent about 2,700 students in the district.
In other action, the board:
• Accepted the bids through the Ohio Schools Council and contract for two 84-passenger Puller Blue Bird T3FE 4004 school buses for nearly $96,000 each.
• Approved Family Leave Medical Act time for Maplehurst Elementary preschool teacher Myisha Dotson, from about Feb. 21 through April 4.
• Accepted an $18,000 donation from Firelands Federal Credit Union to pay for about 200 new chairs in the Fisher-Titus Learning Center at Norwalk High School. The board also accepted a $50,000 anonymous donation which will be distributed to the schools in the district for various needs in the buildings.
• Re-elected Lisa Wick as board president.
• Elected Beth Schnellinger as the vice president. She also will be the legislative liaison member to the Ohio State School Boards Association (OSSBA).
• Appointed board member John Lendrum as the district trustee for the Norwalk City Schools endowment fund and the student achievement liaison member to the OSSBA.
• Authorized the appointment of the following legal counsel on an as-needed basis: Pepple & Waggoner, Ches Sumpter & Associates, Squire Sanders LLP and Bricker & Eckler.
• Scheduled the 2019 meetings at 7:30 p.m. at the Fisher-Titus Learning Center: Feb. 12, March 12, April 9, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug. 13, Sept. 10, Oct. 8, Nov. 12 and Dec. 10. The Feb. 12 and April 9 meetings will be at the Norwalk High School library.