Father Joe Steinbauer celebrated the baccalaureate ceremony and performed the Blessing of the Hands. Patricia Martin, quality and patient satisfaction vice president, welcomed the graduates and families and acted as master of ceremonies. School director Holly Price also addressed the graduating class.
Board of directors vice-chairman John Bacon presented the following awards to students:
• The exemplary attendance award was given to: Cayla Bess, of New London, Taylor Ferrell, Brooke Green, Courtney Jones, Ashley Kraft, of Norwalk, Kimberlee Lipstraw, Joshua Lukas and Rokya Miller for exemplary attendance for their entire enrollment.
• The Father Brickner Award for the graduate who best-exhibited Christian principles in daily life was presented to Jacob Mitnik, of Berlin Heights.
• Jolene Felder, of Bellevue, received the excellence in nursing award for demonstrating outstanding ability in the care of patients and consistently acts as a patient advocate.
• The Providence Hospital/Firelands Regional Medical Center Schools of Nursing Alumni Award was given to Stephen Behrens and Jones. The alumni ward is given to the graduates who exhibit outstanding kindness and consideration in the nursing care of patients.
• The scholarship award was given to Kristen Buder for having the highest cumulative grade-point average.
Buder was also presented with the Dorothy Rigoni Clinical Practice Award. The award recipients are selected by the faculty and are those who have demonstrated outstanding patient teaching and nursing care of the obstetrical patient.
The leadership award was presented to Ashley Traczek, a member of the graduating class who demonstrated outstanding leadership ability as defined by the faculty.
Local graduates of the nursing class of 2018 from the Reflector readership area included: Bess, Felder, Kraft, Mitnik, Cody Hipp, of Norwalk; Courtney Kirk, of Willard; Joshua Lukas, of Bellevue; and Hayley Myers, of Monroeville.