no avatar

Man sentenced to 6 years in prison for causing fatal overdose

By JOHN FUTTY • Oct 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM

COLUMBUS (TNS) — A 46-year-old man who supplied the drugs that caused a fatal overdose for a Grandview Heights man was sentenced Monday to six years in prison.

Cory L. McDowell, of Colby Avenue on the East Side, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of Ronald R. Ireson, 33, and two counts of drug trafficking.

Franklin County Common Pleas Judge Laurel Beatty Blunt imposed the sentence, which prosecutors and defense attorneys recommended as part of a plea agreement.

Ireson went to McDowell's home to purchase drugs on Jan. 7 and took them to his house on West First Avenue, where he overdosed, assistant Prosecutor Carol Harmon said.

Paramedics who were called to the residence found him unresponsive on the bathroom floor and managed to revive him with numerous doses of Narcan, a medication used to block the effects of an opioid overdose, she said. He was placed on life support at a hospital and died six days later.

An autopsy determined that he died from acute intoxication caused by cocaine, opioids and Fentanyl, a powerful painkiller that has contributed to numerous overdose deaths.

Harmon said Ireson's mother had taken him to the Colby Avenue address, where she thought he was getting pain medication for a previous back injury. Ireson also used his mother’s cell phone, which investigators used to find calls to McDowell's phone, she said.

McDowell admitted to investigators that he sold the drugs to Ireson.

Defense attorney Isabella Dixon said McDowell is a heroin addict who met Ireson when they were in a treatment program.

McDowell apologized in court to Ireson’s mother, father and sister.

“I didn’t mean for this to happen at all,” he said.


(c)2017 The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio)

Visit The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio) at www.dispatch.com.

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos