no avatar

Farmers encouraged to report crop loss, low yields

By Diana Strouse • Sep 23, 2017 at 10:00 AM

The Farm Service Agency (FSA) encourages farmers to document and report crop losses or low crop yields to their local FSA office.

Producers with crops covered by crop insurance and the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) must report crop losses resulting from a weather-related disaster event within 15 days of the disaster or when the loss first becomes apparent. Producers of hand-harvested crops and certain perishable crops must notify FSA within 72 hours of when a loss becomes apparent. Crop losses are acres that were timely planted with the intent to harvest, but the crop failed because of a natural disaster.

It is important that producers file accurate and timely loss reports to prevent the potential loss of FSA program benefits. Low yield acreage does need to be reported and producers are encouraged to keep good production records on acreage with a low crop yield to document crop losses. In addition, farmers are encouraged to report crop conditions to their county FSA offices so that the information may be used to support the potential request for a disaster declaration.

If you have additional questions about failed crop acreage or crop losses covered by the Non-Insured Assistance Program (NAP) contact your local FSA office.

In other news:

2017 acreage reporting dates:  In order to comply with FSA program eligibility requirements, all producers are encouraged to visit the Huron/Erie County FSA office to file an accurate crop certification report by the applicable deadline. The following acreage reporting dates are applicable for Huron/Erie County FSA:

Sept. 30 — Report aquaculture.

Nov. 15 — Report perennial forage crops.

Dec. 15 — Fall barley, fall wheat, and all other fall-seeded small grains.

The following exceptions apply to the above acreage reporting dates:

If the crop has not been planted by the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 15 calendar days after planting is completed.

* If a producer acquires additional acreage after the above acreage reporting date, then the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendars days after purchase or acquiring the lease. Appropriate documentation must be provided to the county office.

Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) policy holders should note that the acreage reporting date for NAP covered crops is the earlier of the dates listed above or 15 calendar days before grazing or harvesting of the crop begins.

* * *

Farm storage facility loans: FSA’s Farm Storage Facility Loan (FSFL) program provides low-interest financing to producers to build or upgrade storage facilities and to purchase portable (new or used) structures, equipment and storage and handling trucks. The low-interest funds can be used to build or upgrade permanent facilities to store commodities.

Eligible commodities include corn, grain sorghum, soybeans, oats, wheat, barley, minor oilseeds harvested as whole grain, pulse crops (lentils, chickpeas and dry peas), hay, honey, renewable biomass, fruits, nuts and vegetables for cold storage facilities, floriculture, hops, maple sap, rye, milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, meat and poultry (unprocessed), eggs and aquaculture (excluding systems that maintain live animals through uptake and discharge of water). Qualified facilities include grain bins, hay barns and cold storage facilities for eligible commodities.

Loans up to $50,000 can be secured by a promissory note/security agreement and loans between $50,000 and $100,000 may require additional security. Loans exceeding $100,000 require additional security.

Producers do not need to demonstrate the lack of commercial credit availability to apply. The loans are designed to assist a diverse range of farming operations, including small and mid-sized businesses, new farmers, operations supplying local food and farmers markets, non-traditional farm products and underserved producers.

To learn more about the FSA Farm Storage Facility Loan, contact your local FSA office.

* * *

Unauthorized disposition of grain:  If loan grain has been disposed of through feeding, selling or any other form of disposal without prior written authorization from the county office staff, it is considered unauthorized disposition. The financial penalties for unauthorized dispositions are severe and a producer’s name will be placed on a loan violation list for a two-year period. Always call the county office before you haul any grain under loan.


Diana Strouse is the county executive director for the Huron and Erie County Farm Service Agency. For more information, call the agency at 419-668-4113.

Recommended for You

    Norwalk Reflector Videos